The Lounge non-techical discussion | work-safe material only!

MMA fans inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Haterator

I don't think Pride's top fighters would dominate UFC's top fighters as much as most people think. Just think about it...

Hughes v. Gomi (160/170 lb)
Franklin v. Hendo (183-185 lb)
Liddell v. Silva (205 lb)
Arlovski v. Fedor (205+)

I'd expect to see Fedor dominate Arlovski, and Hughes dominate Gomi... besides that, I think the other two fights would be pretty damn close. Wow though, imagine a card with those fights on it? I'd pay 200 dollars to see that event, I wouldn't even think twice about it.

Pride's strenght is in it's depth IMO. UFC has absolutely no depth at HW and very little at LHW until Vera and Pe De Pano drop down. They could sign Rampage, but right now the only real accomplished fighters at Light Heavy are Babalu and Chuck. Middleweight has very little depth also, unless UFC can somehow sign Shamrock I don't see anybody stepping up and being a huge threat to Franklin's title. Welterweight is the UFC's class, and it's the biggest reason I watch the UFC. Hughes, Penn, and GSP are possibly the top 3 in the world at 170 lbs, and they're all in the UFC. You've also got Trigg, Sherk, Parisian, and a few others who have a lot of talent fighting in that division.

On the other hand, check out Pride's heavyweight division. Insane. Fedor, Cro Cop, Noguiera, Hunt, Shogun, Werdum, Barnett, Kharitonov, Coleman, Aleks... all great fighters.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Mustang Moderator

Ultimate Fight Night 4 tonight, followed by the premiere of Ultimate Fighter 3.

7pm CDT on SpikeTV for those interested.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:05 PM
Haterator

Originally Posted by Blue91
Ultimate Fight Night 4 tonight, followed by the premiere of Ultimate Fighter 3.

7pm CDT on SpikeTV for those interested.
I gotta record it, I've got an 8-11pm class tonight

I wanna see Ken and Tito on the TUF 3 too. That should be quality comedy programming.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont see Liddel doing so well against Silva or Shogun, Alistair Overeem was giving him hell for awhile and we know what Rampage did to him. Henderson vs Franklin would be interesting, Henderson is no joke. The biggest thing is the depth and how fighters match up with each other, you might have 2 or 3 more in pride waiting inline to take out the UFC guys right after the top guys do.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Haterator

Originally Posted by Speeds8erM-1
I dont see Liddel doing so well against Silva or Shogun, Alistair Overeem was giving him hell for awhile and we know what Rampage did to him. Henderson vs Franklin would be interesting, Henderson is no joke. The biggest thing is the depth and how fighters match up with each other, you might have 2 or 3 more in pride waiting inline to take out the UFC guys right after the top guys do.
I think Liddell is a MUCH better fighter now than he was back in 2003. If you look at that year, he had a VERY hard time with Overeem (who looks awesome at heavyweight now btw, how the **** did he get so enormous so quick *cough*sauce*cough) until he caught him, he lost to both Randy and Rampage that year. He's a much better fighter now.

I'm definitely not a Chuck fan, he's probably the biggest cornball in the UFC with his mohawk and his homo finger thing he's always doing, but damn he's improved so much over the past few years. The thing I want to see most is him fight a cardio machine with a good chin. How many times int he past couple of years has Chuck gone the distance? He's getting up there in age, he's 37 now, I'd like to see how good his gas is in a long fight. Although he went 3+ rounds with Horn (last summer it hink?) and didn't gas.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im not a very big Liddel fan either, his stock rose when he beat Couture but honestly it was just a matter of time before somebody figured out Couture's game and didnt go in there timid and scared of the take down. Both seem like nice guys, I dunno, just not a big Couture fan, I do like that Chuck DOES go for the kill when somebody is hurt.

Liddel is more of a counter puncher and somebody that BRINGS it to him usually causes problems, like Rampage. I dont think he could handle Silva and Shogun is a whole nother ballgame at 205, when he heals back up anyway.

Overeem has always been BIG for a LHW, crazy how much weight he was probably cutting at LHW which seemed to kill his cardio. He comes out ***** to the wall which makes him look like he is just mauling people but then he gasses. Juicing? 99% of them are Im sure. Overeem has alot of potential though and Im not suprised he gave Chuck hell.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Teching In

I love mma im a purple belt in bjj and im trying to train with team punishment this summer