Mod Motor Tech Forums

Mod Motor Tech Forums (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/)
-   The Lounge (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/lounge-20038/)
-   -   MMA fans inside (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/lounge-20038/mma-fans-inside-148/)

MillaTK 04-02-2006 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Vendetta
Kevin, major MMA matches are still outlawed in NY State, but you can train MMA almost anywhere. Mixed martial encompasses every martial art you can think of from American/Western boxing to Brazilian jiu-jitsu (although some work much better than others). Find a place local to you that teaches Muay Thai, Boxing, or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. They are the big three to begin a base off of if you're really interested in starting MMA. You're not a huge guy so BJJ would be the best for you.

Others I'd recommend are Kyokushin Karate and Freestyle Wrestling.

As an example, the last time you saw me I weighed around 240 lbs. Now I'm down to around 205 just training in my basement about an hour per night. It's done wonders to get me in shape.

Dude, thats awesome! Looks like the dieting and working out has been paying off, congrats dude :cheers:

I joined my school's rugby team this year, and thats definitely been helping me get in some better shape. The problem I have, is that I go away to school, so I'm here for a semester, then a month at home, then here for another semester, then back home for another couple months. I took Aikido for 4 years or so during high school, and I had a knee injury that kept me out of it for a couple months, and it sucked when I came back and had to catch back up. I'd like to be able to commit to something full time, and with going back and forth between school and home, I don't think I'll be able to commit 100%. That being said, I think I'm gonna get a heavy bag this summer and work on that, and just lift and run and stuff to stay in shape.

Speeds8erM-1 04-02-2006 07:31 PM

Stay away from Aikido. Good for exercise, not practical fighting.

MillaTK 04-02-2006 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Speeds8erM-1
Stay away from Aikido. Good for exercise, not practical fighting.

I have come to realize this, which is one of the reasons I don't take it anymore. There are a few things that are practical, but its really limited.

Speeds8erM-1 04-03-2006 12:01 AM

Yep, stick with BJJ, muai tai, boxing and wrestling. I wasted years on Tang Soo Doo when I was younger, bleh.

baddogz28 04-03-2006 10:01 AM

+1 MMA fan here. I'm new to the board and it is great. :lol:

Vendetta 04-03-2006 02:42 PM

Awesome, good amount of MMA fans here.

IFL will be incredible just due to the coaches. Any time you have Bas, Mo Smith, Pat Miletich, and Renzo Gracie coaching anywhere you know the teams will be competitive. April 29th fellas, order up! I'm actually thinking about going since it's in AC.

I can't wait to see Shogun v. Coleman II. I think Shogun will crush him the second time around. He's looking good as a heavyweight and his little brother fits in much better at 183.

Anybody ordering Bushido 10 tonight?

baddogz28 04-03-2006 04:14 PM

I was thinking about it, but I don't know if I'll order.

Ling_650vette 04-03-2006 05:44 PM

I might be a moocher and just tune into the PPV channel and listen :jest:

Speeds8erM-1 04-03-2006 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Vendetta
Awesome, good amount of MMA fans here.

IFL will be incredible just due to the coaches. Any time you have Bas, Mo Smith, Pat Miletich, and Renzo Gracie coaching anywhere you know the teams will be competitive. April 29th fellas, order up! I'm actually thinking about going since it's in AC.

I can't wait to see Shogun v. Coleman II. I think Shogun will crush him the second time around. He's looking good as a heavyweight and his little brother fits in much better at 183.

Anybody ordering Bushido 10 tonight?

Already read the play by play and watched some of the videos online. I have cable but no digital cable so no ordering for me here.

BigBronco 04-03-2006 08:23 PM

I keep up with Pride fighting. Sherdog.com is great