Internal & External Engine 260 | 289 | 302 | 351W 351C | 400C 390 | 427 | 428 | SOHC 426

Ford noob, What's the difference between Windsor and Cleveland Engines?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Adrenalin
69-74 351 Windsors are the strongest years for a factory 351W block. 69-71 blocks have a 9.48" deck height and 72-up have a 9.5" deck height.

All 351 cleavelands have a 9.2 deck height.

The 302 mexican blocks are "known" to be better simply because they have a higher Nickel percentage in the cast then the other blocks. They were casted in Mexico and that is what happened when they made the metal for pouring.

It is better to get the earlier blocks for the "most" part simply because casting was not as refined as it is today. Back then they had to throw in a ton of metal and make the casting thick so the cylinders would stay straighter and have more rigidity. When the 302 came out in the early 80's ford completely changed America with their casting process and it enabled them to have thinner walls, less weight etc.

problem is everything else on that motor from the factory sucked performance wise. WIth it as a whole from the factory, it was very nice but the cylinder heads and intake were terrible. Definately do NOT flow well.

Also they take right at 500 hp before splitting a cylinder or straight down the lifter valley.

Originally Posted by MillaTK
9600RPM!!! Damn! And the Windsor blocks in the fox bodies certainly can't take 650hp from the factory from what I've seen/heard... Sooo, when I come down May 20-27th, you should show me what to do with my stock 89 motor...
Just let me know when you make it into Houston Kev. I can definatley let you come by the school and introduce you to a few of the guys. If you need any other help on your motor, just let me know and we can get you rolling for sure!
Old 04-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigBronco
The 302 mexican blocks are "known" to be better simply because they have a higher Nickel percentage in the cast then the other blocks. They were casted in Mexico and that is what happened when they made the metal for pouring.

It is better to get the earlier blocks for the "most" part simply because casting was not as refined as it is today. Back then they had to throw in a ton of metal and make the casting thick so the cylinders would stay straighter and have more rigidity. When the 302 came out in the early 80's ford completely changed America with their casting process and it enabled them to have thinner walls, less weight etc.

problem is everything else on that motor from the factory sucked performance wise. WIth it as a whole from the factory, it was very nice but the cylinder heads and intake were terrible. Definately do NOT flow well.

Also they take right at 500 hp before splitting a cylinder or straight down the lifter valley.
Oh yea, mexican blocks are definately a stronger choice for a 302 block, the only bad thing is they aren't quite as easy to get ahold of as a standard 302. Good info there! Also mexican blocks have "Hecho en Mexico" casted into the lifter valley.

Back to the 351W blocks, a little known fact is that there were some 351W blocks made in mexico as well. They have weird casting numbers and also have "Hecho en Mexico" casted itno the lifter valley.