Go Back  Mod Motor Tech Forums > Pushrod V8 Performance > Internal & External Engine
Reload this Page >

Ford noob, What's the difference between Windsor and Cleveland Engines?

Internal & External Engine 260 | 289 | 302 | 351W 351C | 400C 390 | 427 | 428 | SOHC 426

Ford noob, What's the difference between Windsor and Cleveland Engines?

Old 03-31-2006, 08:08 PM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
iTrader: (92)
 
~JOSHUA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,774
Default Ford noob, What's the difference between Windsor and Cleveland Engines?

If I asked the same question on some of the extreme snob sites I would be shot in the head immediately.

Can someone tell me what the basic differences are? I think I've heard of the 351 ci in both types. I don't get it.

Thanks in advance. ~Joshua
~JOSHUA is offline  
Old 04-01-2006, 02:06 PM
  #2  
Too slow for YOU!
 
MillaTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cornwall, NY
Posts: 3,066
Default

Wish I could give you a more detailed response, but I dont know too much about it either, but from what I know, they are just two different blocks and come in different displacements(at least I know the windsor does).
MillaTK is offline  
Old 04-03-2006, 05:05 PM
  #3  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
BigBronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 10,575
Default

Cylinder heads is the biggest difference between the two motors hands down. The cleveland heads were designed with flow in mind WAY back in the day when Ford was Trans Am racing. The ports were WAY too big and the valves were over 2.100 I believe. Dont quote me, I need to do some research. The block itself sucks as the oiling is less then stellar. The intake as well is of course different too then a windsor.


As for a windsor, the oiling is definately better. The block can take over 650 from the factory but the heads and intake were highly restrictive. The new victor and victor glidden heads are extremely nice and getting easy 300++++cfm is not a problem

Our 395" windsor spins to 9600 rpm and we sit right at 870 hp on motor. Of course there is a lot more too it and we run a large bore / short stroke setup but it definately runs.

We are finally reaching a day and age with a valve train that can handle the clevelands HUGE heads and we can take advantage of that. In the late 60's when it came out was just not good at all. By the time the motor started making power, it went into valve float. Ford had the right concept, just only got half the puzzle right. 302 from GM in the Z28 is where it was at
BigBronco is offline  
Old 04-03-2006, 07:37 PM
  #4  
Teching In
 
Adrenalin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lakeland, Fl.
Posts: 14
Default

Pretty much what he said.

Also, Cleaveland blocks have 2.75" main journals (which is commonly thought to allow for higher reving) where a Windsor block has 3" main journals (which is commonly thought to restrict high reving)

This theory isn't held by all, because there are alot of guys using Windsor blocks with great success.
Adrenalin is offline  
Old 04-03-2006, 11:43 PM
  #5  
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
BigBronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 10,575
Default

Originally Posted by Adrenalin
Pretty much what he said.

Also, Cleaveland blocks have 2.75" main journals (which is commonly thought to allow for higher reving) where a Windsor block has 3" main journals (which is commonly thought to restrict high reving)

This theory isn't held by all, because there are alot of guys using Windsor blocks with great success.

Thanks for bringing that up, I completely forgot about that :o| Nice car by the way and welcome!
BigBronco is offline  
Old 04-03-2006, 11:59 PM
  #6  
TECH Senior Member
 
| Powered by Satan |'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Houston / University of Texas, Austin
Posts: 6,954
Default

there ya go man! all summed up for ya
| Powered by Satan | is offline  
Old 04-04-2006, 10:12 AM
  #7  
Too slow for YOU!
 
MillaTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Cornwall, NY
Posts: 3,066
Default

Originally Posted by BigBronco
Cylinder heads is the biggest difference between the two motors hands down. The cleveland heads were designed with flow in mind WAY back in the day when Ford was Trans Am racing. The ports were WAY too big and the valves were over 2.100 I believe. Dont quote me, I need to do some research. The block itself sucks as the oiling is less then stellar. The intake as well is of course different too then a windsor.


As for a windsor, the oiling is definately better. The block can take over 650 from the factory but the heads and intake were highly restrictive. The new victor and victor glidden heads are extremely nice and getting easy 300++++cfm is not a problem

Our 395" windsor spins to 9600 rpm and we sit right at 870 hp on motor. Of course there is a lot more too it and we run a large bore / short stroke setup but it definately runs.

We are finally reaching a day and age with a valve train that can handle the clevelands HUGE heads and we can take advantage of that. In the late 60's when it came out was just not good at all. By the time the motor started making power, it went into valve float. Ford had the right concept, just only got half the puzzle right. 302 from GM in the Z28 is where it was at

9600RPM!!! Damn! And the Windsor blocks in the fox bodies certainly can't take 650hp from the factory from what I've seen/heard... Sooo, when I come down May 20-27th, you should show me what to do with my stock 89 motor...
MillaTK is offline  
Old 04-04-2006, 02:17 PM
  #8  
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (12)
 
Wnts2Go10O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 3,780
Default

Originally Posted by MillaTK
9600RPM!!! Damn! And the Windsor blocks in the fox bodies certainly can't take 650hp from the factory from what I've seen/heard... Sooo, when I come down May 20-27th, you should show me what to do with my stock 89 motor...
arent the 351 and 302 blocks different? also, what is it that causes the block to break where it does?
Wnts2Go10O is offline  
Old 04-04-2006, 06:05 PM
  #9  
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (20)
 
Speeds8erM-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Pensacola Florida
Posts: 577
Default

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
arent the 351 and 302 blocks different? also, what is it that causes the block to break where it does?
The blocks are different. Not all 302 blocks are that weak either, mostly the common late model roller blocks. The Mexican and Boss 302 Blocks are much better but the 351 stuff doesnt have any really WEAK years like the 302 blocks. The 302 blocks split because there is nothing too them, especially in the mains. The blocks are fuggin LIGHT just picking them up compared to most blocks. They arent in the same league as a 351, LT1, Modular, LS1 ect ect.
Speeds8erM-1 is offline  
Old 04-04-2006, 08:18 PM
  #10  
Teching In
 
Adrenalin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lakeland, Fl.
Posts: 14
Default

69-74 351 Windsors are the strongest years for a factory 351W block. 69-71 blocks have a 9.48" deck height and 72-up have a 9.5" deck height.

All 351 cleavelands have a 9.2 deck height.
Adrenalin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford noob, What's the difference between Windsor and Cleveland Engines?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.