Internal & External Engine 260 | 289 | 302 | 351W 351C | 400C 390 | 427 | 428 | SOHC 426

ABC cams are good but...

Old 04-08-2006, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Speeds8erM-1
Who cares if the alphabet cams work, you could still go faster with something else. No sense in staying in the cave man era. This is another reason why the LS1 guys are LIGHT YEARS ahead on n/a street engines, their wild heads help also.
that why you have an abc cam in ur 89? anyone else have anything to help this dude out or we just goona sit around and chat about LS1's?
Old 04-08-2006, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ummm, it was in the car when I bought it and since it says All Sold under that, I dont have that car anymore. If I had kept it, the F Cam would have came out.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Speeds8erM-1
Who cares if the alphabet cams work, you could still go faster with something else. No sense in staying in the cave man era. This is another reason why the LS1 guys are LIGHT YEARS ahead on n/a street engines, their wild heads help also.

Cylinder heads are the sole reason why they are SO much better then the 5.0. But, luckily, many aftermarket companies are FINALLY producing cylinder heads that create flow.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What I mean is the LS1 guys try alot more stuff and actually go alot further with cam technology than the average street 5.0 guys.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

I personaly feel that every single time an LS based motor has rolled off the assembly line, an honest to goodness Miracle has occured. What do you guys say to us droppin Ratzinger a holler and get the Vatican over here to investigate?
Old 04-11-2006, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

hehehe.. yeah, its almost that good...

Speeds8er nailed it though, the part of the LS1 community that actually digs into their motors is extremely broad -- heck you can't drive around Houston without seeing at least a couple cammed Camaros or Corvettes. The Mustang community by and large sticks to bolt-ons. A Mustang is guaranteed to have a K&N and a pair of Flowmaster 2 chambers, and maybe some underdrive pulleys, but not often much beyond that. I personally attribute that to a lack of readily-available knowledge. Lets face it, most everyone with a performance car that WOULD mod it, would like to do it himself in his own garage. We are by nature tinkerers. But, you take one look at a modular motor and most people get intimidated by it and fear they can't accomplish some of the more "internal" tasks. So, you don't see things like cam swaps unless they were done by a shop.

We aim to change that around here
Old 04-13-2006, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

I thought this was the Windsor forum?

Just so I get this straight. Its your assertion that LS1 guys are more willing to do internal engine modification over 5.0 guys?
Old 04-13-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd say there's a lot more "non-technical" LS1 guys doing internal mods than the average any other group of car folk. Now keep in mind, I'm not talking about the upper eschelon who modify everything they own themselves (including spraying the lawnmower, not that I'd know anything about that). I'm talking about the average Joe you'll find cruising out to a street meet on the weekends. The internet is changing things rapidly, and the LS1 community really took off with the rapid transfer of knowledge. There's a large number of VERY talented and knowledgable Ford guys, but many tend to either not share their knowledge, or not share it on the internet because they've "been there done that." The thing is, there's a lot of very curious, eager, and capable folks out there who only need a little access to info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABC cams are good but...