Internal Engine Cams | Heads | Rotating Assemblies

Defective oil pressure sending unit - 99+ cars

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 08:23 AM
Harder Faster Stronger

Default Defective oil pressure sending unit - 99+ cars

1999 up cars and trucks have had a problem with the oil pressure sending unit located on the oil filter housing. there is a new re-vised oil pressure sending unit, part # 1U5Z-9278-DA and sells for @$9.00

On my oil pressure gauge the needle always stayed on the center mark. As a result of this I didn’t know that my engine was low on oil until it was too late. I spun at least 4 rod bearing sets (I just stopped looking after every one I took off was bad). Now I have an electric Auto meter oil pressure gauge, hopefully that fixes the problem
Old 08-13-2007, 03:22 AM

hey i got a quick ?? i got a 1988 chevrolet caprise classic and i think my oill pressure fucked up..Can you tell me ways you can tell if that your oil pressure is the problem..My car for some reason the oil pressure dropps and the car feels like its going to turn off and for me to let it go back to idle mode i hold the brake and push the gas very slitly..m hoping thats what it is???Thanks man...
Old 08-13-2007, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

The best way to tell is to take an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and attach it to the port on the back of the block (near the rear of the intake manifold).

The oil pressure when the oil is hot, at idle, should be at least 15 psi. It takes my cars about 15 minutes for the oil to get 'hot' (not the engine temperature, but the oil temperature). Below 15 psi in my opinion is a problem. 15-20 psi is low and the sign of a worn engine, but is livable. 20+ PSI at idle is no problem.

If the pressure is low, one option to consider is replacing rod bearings. Sometimes it works and restores oil pressure (it did on my Fiero - it had a very mild knock and low pressure - I replaced the worn out bearings with brand new ones and it's run great for 5k miles now). Sometimes it doesn't work and you'll spin one of the new bearings and trash the motor. You can roll the dice...

Thicker oil, high volume or pressure pump, additives, etc - they are just masking the problem that your older, high mileage engine is simply wearing out.