Chassis & Drivetrain Brakes | Driveshaft | Rear Axle | Transmission | Handling | Suspension | Bushings

How do you make a Fox handle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 12:44 PM
ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Default How do you make a Fox handle?

The LS1 car is my little street/strip drag project, but I started thinking I want to go a simpler route with my 88 LX hatch. What does it take to get a Fox-body to handle well?

It's my future daily driver when I get the rest of the car finished, and I wouldn't mind hitting up some of the SCCA Solo II events during the year. I was thinking good springs, very good shocks, bigger swaybars, subframe connectors, and a four point "cage" of sorts. I want it to be solid, but not harsh, and still handle relatively well. It's not a max effort type deal, just want it to be a fun car to drive everyday and have some fun with on the autocross course.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

It really depends on how far you want to go with the car. Stiffening it up will get it to be a "decent" handling car, but you'll still get smoked by cars like your Neon. The suspension geometry of a Fox leaves a lot to be desired when building an ultimate handling car, and it takes a lot of parts to "fix" it.

I'd look initially into your list of parts above, plus adding a torque arm and panhard kit to get the rear end squared away.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:18 PM
ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Well as far as it being competitive goes thats not really a concern. I just want it to be a "capable" car on the street and in the curves. If I could get it to handle like my Trans Am handled stock, with the only change being less body roll, I'd be a happy camper. I definitely want to focus on the powerplant down the road and look into an LS1 swap, but I started thinking about how old the cars were and how it definitely needed some work in that front before I ever start worrying about bigger things like engine swaps and the like.

Seems like Maximum Motorsports are the top dogs as far as bang for the buck goes. The interior is first and foremost in getting addressed, and wanted to get into an LS1 swap after that, but I think I'll tackle the suspension with one of the Maximum Motorsports Road & Track "Grip in a Box" packages, then worry about the big stuff later. No need to put the cart before the horse. Has anyone used the MM R&T Grip in a Box packages and had any real world experience with it? I'm not seeing anything about spring rates so hopefully that will give me a controlled but not overly harsh ride on the streets. As this is going to be my future daily driver I dont need it to be perfect in any one area, but would like it to be capable in all areas, and obviously ride and handling are a big part of a car you're going to spend seat time in everyday.