Chassis & Drivetrain Brakes | Driveshaft | Rear Axle | Transmission | Handling | Suspension | Bushings

Clutch Resource Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 07:37 PM
Harder Faster Stronger

Default Clutch Resource Thread

The purpose of this thread is to help someone who may be switching out the stock clutch for an aftermarket unit.

For those of us who have replaced the stock Clutch, what did you go with, and what were your reasons.

I have a Spec 2 in my GT. I didn't want just a stock replacement since I planned on running slicks and didn't want to destroy the new unit. The pedal has a slightly heavier feel vs stock and even some other replacements like the king cobra clutch, but I liked a slightly heavier clutch pedal.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

I HAD a Centerforce Dual Friction. A little stiffer than stock. Slipped on it's maden voyage on drag radials. Didn't last but 5k miles. Went to a spec stage 3. A little stiffer than the CF DF. No slippage. Lightswitch clutch. But it friggin grabs. Tons of passes down the strip and still chirps 4th w/ 26x10's. No really street friendly. -Mark
Old 05-24-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

I had a Centerforce DF and pulled it out after 10k miles due to some strange problems. It might have been or clutch or not. Cant see anything visually wrong with the clutch though.

Anyhow, it chattered, and the weights were noisy as ****. I replaced it with a King Cobra (I have a dual pattern flywheel so I can swap between 11" and 10.5" clutches if I want), and I like this King Cobra much better. I expected pedal feel to be much worse, but I think a lot of people that complain about them do not grease the clutch fork pivot ball. Clutch pedal isnt much harder than the centerforce.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:30 PM
Harder Faster Stronger

Originally Posted by SJRTX
I expected pedal feel to be much worse, but I think a lot of people that complain about them do not grease the clutch fork pivot ball.
A lot of people look over this, it is very important to get a nice wire brush and brake cleaner and get the pivot ball nice and clean, then cover it and the socket for it on the clutch fork with fresh grease. it work wonders