The Lounge non-techical discussion | work-safe material only!

Train Story

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Train Story

We got a call Friday night to go meet up with friends from College Station for dinner (we're spending the summer in Denton). So we hop in the Mustang and go out to meet them. We get off 35 onto Beltline. There's a train going through, so we stop, about 3 cars back from the front, and on the farthest inside lane. This train is going SLOW. So slow, in fact, that it prompts Will (who has roadrage) to yell,
"This thing is going so [explitive deleted] slow, it's going negative one miles per hour! In fact, it's actually going [explitive deleted] backwards!!"
Suddenly, the train stops. Comes to a complete and total stop, across six lanes of traffic. Okay, this is interesting...then, the train starts BACKING UP. That's right, he (train engineer) threw that thing into reverse! It backs up enough to clear the farthest right lane, and waves them forward. Cars start hauling butt through the opening, but the moron in front of me WON'T MOVE (and there's nobody in front of him...at least a full carlength in front of him is empty). It was so stupid, I actually honked my horn...which I never do, since it sounds stupid. He doesn't move. Finally the guy behind me gets out, and I'm able to back up to get around this guy...as the train starts pulling forward again. About 15 train cars pass by...and it stops again. And backs up. Again. This time, it stops about 1 car ahead of the farthest right lane. Will's on the phone with our friends, who have already been served their food. People around us are getting out of their cars and walking around. About 10 minutes pass, and the train starts pulling forward again. This time, around 30 train cars pass before it stops. And...it backs up again. This time, it clears all six lanes, and no less than five people roast the tires leaving (myself, surprisingly, not included...not until 2nd gear anyways..) By the time we arrive at the restaurant, our friends have finished eating.

Moral of the story: Don't train train engineers in Dallas.