The Lounge non-techical discussion | work-safe material only!

Finally taking it in for this clunking!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Corvette & Mustang Moderator

Default Finally taking it in for this clunking!

I've had this clunking noise from the front (struts?) ever since I've owned my 06. I reinstalled the front anti-sway bar and return my programming back to stock so they can't say it's modified. I'm taking it in tomorrow and see if they can fix it.

Any small bump and it makes the noise. I've heard of several that have the same problem but don't know what the fix was.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

What'd they say?
Old 07-05-2006, 07:08 PM

I took it to Helfman Ford here in Houston early this morning. They called me a few hours later and told me they couldn't hear a noise or find anything wrong. I asked if I could come over and drive it with their tech. Drove to the dealer in another car and took their mechanic for a ride. I showed him what to listen for and he said I have one or both defective front struts. Said he will get it fix it for me.

They should have it ready tomorrow.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Glad to hear. It's always nice hearing about a good service department at a dealership. I find, though I am bias because I was a mechanic for one, service writers are ********... Customers are always happier when dealing with the mechanic, atleast - with us they were. Service writers don't know a damn thing, they're just there to up-sell maint. packages, needed or not needed, for spiffs.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:50 PM

Helfman does have a good service department. And I didn't even buy the car from them.

Just picked the car up. They replaced the front passenger side strut, checked the camber and set the toe. Seems to be fine now but will have to find some good bumbs before I will know for sure. Didn't hear any noise on the way home so hopefully it's fixed.