Internal Engine Cams | Heads | Rotating Assemblies

reputable mod motor builder

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 02:56 AM

Default reputable mod motor builder

i recently spun a rod bearing in my mach 1 and am looking to stroke with a livernois 298 ci kit. i was wondering if any of you knew where i could take my motor to be built if i choose not to do it myself. i have experience with windsors but am a little weary of trying my hand at a mod motor. i have a buddy who could probably help me but im trying to consider all of my options. any info is appreciated.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:11 PM
Teching In

Hi out there in hight point. I used to live in greensboro! Any way, back to the question at hand. I am like you in that I know windsors like the back of my hand. I have talked to a bunch of differant shops and they all say the same thing, The modular blocks are easier than windsors. The hardest part is making sure the timing chain and sproket are kept in line together, by marking with an ink pen(white). If you are doing a cam swap with springs, let an engine builer with experience do it. Later Tom
Old 09-13-2008, 01:22 AM

thanks for the input. i was out at the local cruise in tonight and a guy told me about this place in denton called h.e.d. that is supposed to be really good with this stuff. i have seen some cars that they have built at the drag strip and they are pretty impressive. i think i am going to check them out and maybe get a price on just having the bottom end assembled. also, the guy i was talking to said 11:1 compression was too high for pump gas, but i dont know if he is right. i have always heard that 11.5 was ok on an aluminum headed motor on 93 octane. just to be safe i am going to run a lower degree t-stat. let me know what you think.

Last edited by oxfordwhitemach; 09-13-2008 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Harder Faster Stronger

I'd leave the regular thermostat unless you're going to change it in the tune. If the engine dosen't get hot enough the computer will stay in warm up mode. Which does not = win.

Any quality engine show should be able to get the bottom end together for you. You can take care of everything your self very easy if you have a hoist and an engine stand. Pick up a haynes manual, it'll walk you through everything.