General Maintenance & Repairs Oil Changes | Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Trick to changing 5.0 Fox Body Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 11:31 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Default Trick to changing 5.0 Fox Body Oil?

I've helped my brother change the oil in his '92 5.0 a few times, and for the life of me can't figure out how to do it with my floor jack still underneath the car. I'd rather leave it under there even with jackstands for extra support (I'm trying to be a good example to my brother on doing it safely), but the floor jack is in the way of placing the oil drain pan under either of the drain plugs. I've got your average round drain pain, but it's not working well. In fact, I've got three different sized drain pans the I've tried with no luck. To do it now, we have to teter the pan on the wheels of the floorjack while I squeeze my hand between the car's oil pan and the tetering drain pan to take the drain plug out. It's a two person job.

Is there a special pan you guys use, or does everyone just put their car on jackstands and pull out the floor jack? I've considered modifying a drain pan to work, but wanted some expert advice first. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Scott
Old 04-04-2006, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I guess I'm lazy. I pull the car up on ramps and let 'er rip
Old 04-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Harder Faster Stronger

Ramps work great, If you're wanting to use jack stands, you could jack it up a lot higher and put the stands on the frame rails right under the doors.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Mustang Moderator

I jack the car up and use jackstands. With a good set of stands, I don't see the need to have the jack under there as well.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blue91
I jack the car up and use jackstands. With a good set of stands, I don't see the need to have the jack under there as well.
Yep! Dont forget there are two plugs on the pan also, this is foreign to some people coming from GM's, was for me anyway.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:14 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant

Originally Posted by Brains
I guess I'm lazy. I pull the car up on ramps and let 'er rip
Originally Posted by Top Fuel Friday
Ramps work great, If you're wanting to use jack stands, you could jack it up a lot higher and put the stands on the frame rails right under the doors.
Originally Posted by Blue91
Originally Posted by Speeds8erM-1
Yep! Dont forget there are two plugs on the pan also, this is foreign to some people coming from GM's, was for me anyway.
Thanks for all the responses! I honestly never thought of using ramps. I'll probably just go the jackstands/no floor jack route the next time. Yep, my brother mentioned the two drain plugs before we even started, and it's too bad that the front sway bar is right in the way of the exiting oil on the front plug
Old 04-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Thanks for all the responses! I honestly never thought of using ramps. I'll probably just go the jackstands/no floor jack route the next time. Yep, my brother mentioned the two drain plugs before we even started, and it's too bad that the front sway bar is right in the way of the exiting oil on the front plug

That it is! I can't count how many times that has made me mad when doing an oil change on a fox!
Old 04-06-2006, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

The best would be to have access to a lift. It is so much easier but if you must ramps are the easiest way. Or you could jack somewhere else than the motor.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve-099xlt
That it is! I can't count how many times that has made me mad when doing an oil change on a fox!
Yep, stuff goes everywhere, then the sway bar starts to collect dirt and grime.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:10 PM
Banned

Floor jack? I change the oil in my 5.0 on a level drive way with all 4 tires planted. It takes a long arm and decent muscle to tighten-untghten the drain plugs at full arm extension, but i have a deathly fear of getting under cars after watching one come down on my grandpa (shitty hydrolic and he wasnt thinking and had no safety jacks). Anywho, works for me, get both the front and rear plug and filter just fine.

Quick Reply: Trick to changing 5.0 Fox Body Oil?