External Engine Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Headers | Exhaust | Ignition | Water Pumps

how much horse can i expect to get

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Teching In

Default how much horse can i expect to get

hey i have a 99 ss. its an automatic and its completely stock. in about a month i want to start putting some money into it. im willing to put about 2 grand into. the only thing is i want as much horsepower as i can get without burning my engine up so fast. i was thinking something like headers, exhaust system, air lid, air intake? is there anything i can do to give me a pretty good amount of horse without having to rebuild my engine anytime soon. i never take it to the track and i only street race occasionaly. i wish i could get about 400rwhp or at least close to it. any ideas?
Old 12-29-2007, 01:52 PM

Add a nitrous system for extra horses ez. Make sure you get a reprogrammer too. Just get the bolt ons and a gear change should cost about 2k. Still get the programmer as you need to change for the gear change.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Teching In

i would get the bottle but wouldnt i have to get all performance parts in my engine before i did that. if i just leave the factory pistons and pushrods and all that will it not screw my engine up? i thought it would burn up unless you had stronger parts
Old 12-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

You can add some horsepower to a stock motor. Roush has a bolt on for over a hundred horses on a stock motor. It's when you get too many ponies going for what the factory built. The stock mod motor rods are a weak link. Anything serious means another short block to handle it modified with pistons and rods replacements. Then there's power to be made with cylinder heads. If you supercharge you can get away with minor work since the blower pushes in the extra air. If you remain normally aspirated you need a lot of head work along with a cam change. This requires a tuner to modify you stock parameters to operate with the performance increase. You can add nitrous with or without head mods but with a cam change. Nitrous is a oxidizer that requires extra fuel to keep from burning the engine. If the extra fuel isn't delivered you have an instant boat anchor. I hope this helps you out or kept you amused and confused. LOL
Old 12-30-2007, 12:50 AM
Teching In

haha yeah i semi-understand thanks. i plan on putting about 2 grand in. i just dont know whats best to do without having to worry about burning up my engine up so fast...just trying to get some suggestions
Old 12-30-2007, 02:05 AM
Teching In

if you had a stock ss and someone gave you a couple thousand dollars to drop what would you do
Old 12-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tcwebb
haha yeah i semi-understand thanks. i plan on putting about 2 grand in. i just dont know whats best to do without having to worry about burning up my engine up so fast...just trying to get some suggestions
2 grand ain't much. I'm hoping to be working with 2-2.5k figure. The following is my choices and the prices of each.

1.SCT tuner $478 plus software program $350 (allows tuning all kinds of parameters) you can get others for around $400. There's a tuner for just changing the rear axle ratio if you want that.

2. 4wd gear swap $1050 and this will give you a lot better acceleration.

3. Cold Air Intake $220 but the replacement filter for a stock setup is $35-$55

4. Exhaust cat back $350-$550 but a muffler is about $120.

5. Camshaft(s) As much as $1450 for a 4v pr of heads or half for 2v heads. A single cam I would think would be about $350

2k don't go very far. Buy a bunch of lotto tickets and hope to double your money LOL
Old 12-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Teching In

haha yeah ill try the lotto thing and see how it goes. if i hit powerball well split it haha. naw dude im just a 19 year old kid in college i cant afford to spend a whole lot in it yet. after college i can but not yet
Old 12-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tcwebb
haha yeah ill try the lotto thing and see how it goes. if i hit powerball well split it haha. naw dude im just a 19 year old kid in college i cant afford to spend a whole lot in it yet. after college i can but not yet
I see you believe in the lotto like I do. I never lose cause I never play. Well a good tuner will let you optimize what you have before you make any decisions as to what is next.