External Engine Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Headers | Exhaust | Ignition | Water Pumps

Good writeup for H vs X Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Default Good writeup for H vs X Pipe

With an H-Pipe high and low pressure pulses from the left bank will combine and become friendly with the other bank. The low pressure pulses on one bank draw high-pressure pulses from the other, called quasi-static scavenging. Makes more torque (than no crossover pipe at all), and smooths things out acoustically.

The X-Pipe though, does exactly what the H-Pipe does but better, different. Instead of letting pressure pulses go back and forth across the H the x-pipe makes sure the gasses from each bank ALL get very intimate together causing dynamic scavenging.. Thats why it sounds so different. Its smoother too, since the energy from bank-to-bank pressure fluctuations are used more effectively to scavenge the gasses. Less wasted energy means less sound, but more power.

Readers digest:

For deeper exhaust tone, sound -- H Pipe
For performance -- X Pipe

Old 05-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Forget both of those, PROCHAMBER produces more power then both and sounds better.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Junkie

The Prochambers look like an over-sized H pipe and should work just as similar as far as scavanging and tone goes.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

I wonder what the weight differences between the two are though? as well as ground clearance issues. And I forget, but I'm almost positive prochambers are much more expensive than an off-road H or X Pipe..
Old 05-05-2006, 03:25 PM
Teching In

they are more exspensive but they do perform alot better, i used to have an o/r x and really pefer the prochamber. There is no clearence issues. My car is lowered 1 1/2 in and still havent rubbed, but i take it very slow over speed bumps.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Captain Redbeard

ive had the prochamber and loved the sound, when i went with the LTs i got a deal with the X which is why i went with it. id like to switch to a prochamber because the X pipe is too poppy sounding. but when you look at the cutaway view of the prochamber it looks almost like an X pipe inside so i dont know how much different it will sound. trying to decide between H and prochamber. anyone have any more detailed pics of the prochamber cutaway?
Old 05-09-2006, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

I just remembered - MMFF did a mid-pipe test, and on 05s....

Bassani O/R X-Pipe free'd more HP & Torque than the Mac O/R Prochamber..
Old 05-10-2006, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

actually, some magazine did a test on this. and youd be surprised. the H pipe made more HP and torque up to like 5200 rpms on an 02 GT stang i believe. the same car made less power and torque up to 5200 rpms but over 5200 made a few horses difference. i believe it was like 4 horses difference. so that write up is BS...an H pipe is not just for sound. you actually get better torque with an H pipe, and better mid range power. the top end though, the X has it beat.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

^^^ Yep. I had an X and went back to an H. With these 4.6's I'll take all the low end and midrange torque I can get. -Mark
Old 05-10-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
^^^ Yep. I had an X and went back to an H. With these 4.6's I'll take all the low end and midrange torque I can get. -Mark

that aint no ****. no use in having 4 extra horses on top if you get butt raped through the band.

Quick Reply: Good writeup for H vs X Pipe