External Engine Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Headers | Exhaust | Ignition | Water Pumps

Colder thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

Default Colder thermostat?

Just curious, Ive heard a lot of people debate whether a colder thermostat is good or not. A lot say, the colder the engine runs the better performance, then others say that HP is made off heat and its not worth the money. I kinda wanted to bury the myth and know the truth. Which is better? Should i run a stock thermostat or buy a colder one?
Old 09-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Corvette & Mustang Moderator

Originally Posted by 00BadassTA
Just curious, Ive heard a lot of people debate whether a colder thermostat is good or not. A lot say, the colder the engine runs the better performance, then others say that HP is made off heat and its not worth the money. I kinda wanted to bury the myth and know the truth. Which is better? Should i run a stock thermostat or buy a colder one?
If an engine is tuned properly then the cooler thermostat should help performance. Thought I haven't proven that with my testing. Ideally you want the intake cool and the block warm. The warmer the engine the warmer the intake from radiated heat. I always ran a 160 in my Camaro without any problem.

Right now my 06 Mustang runs fine from cold to warm. Don't know how it would possibly hurt performance to run 20 degrees cooler or 180 verses 200 when it runs fine at 100 degrees I feel that too that all the rubber goods will last longer if they are kept cooler.

Maybe others have some ideas on warm verses cooler.