Drag Racing NMRA | FFW | WFC | Rules | Safety | Setups | Hardware | Methods | Timeslips | Records

Maybe only one way of operating the tree?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Corvette & Mustang Moderator

Default Maybe only one way of operating the tree?

I've been racing quite awhile and I have never understood why there are so many methods of operating the tree. From Zero light to .4, .5, Sportsman light, Pro Tree for non pros, another Pro Tree the way the big guys (Top fuel, Funny Car, etc.) light works and the most ridiculous and unfair of all IMO is the "Deep Staging" light. Why not one way? Deep Staging IMO is just a way to cheat? A way for the novice to decide he isn't coming back to the track anymore if the guy next to him can have a head start or even a rolling start. Maybe I don't like it because I always lose against the good Deep Stager!

I feel all races should be ran like the big guys. Once staged, a very fast yellow and the green. That gives us all an equal chance to launch at the same time. At least then the beginner has a chance because he has seen how the lights work on TV and won't be totally disillusioned the first time out.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

IMHO the different methods only exist to add another variable to the racing and make it all that more about the driver ability. Make it too simple, and it shifts too much effort off the driver to make sure all his ducks are in a row.