Drag Racing NMRA | FFW | WFC | Rules | Safety | Setups | Hardware | Methods | Timeslips | Records

Losing weight

Old 05-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Teching In

Default Losing weight

well, to spark some conversation, & see some opinions on what ive been pondering lately, i offer this thread. i have read many threads on weight reduction on many sites but i can decide if i should even bother doing some of the things i have come up with. i have studied this extensivly:

http://users.adelphia.net/%7Emustang...0Reduction.htm

my problem is that i want the stock interior look, heater, etc... & am at a loss if i would be wasting my time. looks like id save approx. 70 pounds & the bulk of that would be spare & rear seat support bars. keep in mind that this isnt my daily driver anymore, & is for the most part stock, so, here is what im looking at:

remove:
-spare tire, jack, board in trunk
-sound deader under carpet & door panels
-rear seat support bars, yet leave rear seat in for looks(nobody fits back there anyway)
-stock rear speakers
-stock rear wing
-all useless crap, ie. owners manual, cds, etc....

i appreciate any thoughts....
Old 05-09-2006, 01:10 PM
Teching In

what also kind of sucks is that most of that weight reduction will be from the rear of the car, further fcking up the weight distribution
Old 05-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Launching!

K-member/A-arms and coil-overs, lighter wheels, foglights, rear seatbelts, all trunk carpeting, spare tire/jack, dog bone on axle housing, spoiler, tailpipes, rear speakers, aluminum driveshaft.

Don't bother with removing the sound deadener, it is too much of a PITA for what it's worth. You aren't going to drop 70 lbs. without dropping some change.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Harder Faster Stronger

The best thing you can do is drop rotating mass, I read somewhere that dropping 1 lbs of rotating mass is equivalent of dropping 20-30 lbs of stationary mass. Hit up those lighter rims, Aluminum drive shaft, and aluminum flywheel, you'll be able to tell the difference.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Captain Redbeard

the ratio is actually about 1lb of rotating mass is the equivalent to about 10lbs of stationary. lighter wheels will make the biggest difference. the dog bone is a great idea as well, with an aftermarket driveshaft it really isnt necassary. sound deadener is really only about 10lbs MAX by removing it all, not worth what you need to do.

to even out the weight distribution if you remove a lot of weight out the back you could always move the battery to the trunk.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:55 PM
11 Second Club

For a signaficant weight difference and no cost to you, here's what I would do:

Front bumper support (14lbs) (leave the rear)
dog bone on diff (8lbs)
remove front sway bar (15lbs)
Spare tire and Jack (~33lbs)
Take out passenger seat (35lbs)

Right there that's at least 100lbs. But if you want more weight reduction it's gonna cost ya $$$. But a k-member will really help out the car shed some weight. -Mark
Old 05-24-2006, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

Take some of the speakers out. 3-5# each.

I would think twice about removing the sound deadener under the carpet. It can really turn your car into a rattle can.