Chassis & Drivetrain Brakes | Driveshaft | Rear Axle | Transmission | Handling | Suspension | Bushings

stock axles

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Default stock axles

I was wondering what kind of power will stock axles hold? Also how about the stock drive shaft? Would you guys sugest getting a FMS aluminum drive shaft? My buddy and me are building a Mustang with a 331 heads and cam car with a C4 and a 2800 stall converter. Stock rear end. will stock axles and drive shaft hold up? Car will be on slicks and skinnies.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2006, 11:38 PM

The axles wont last long on slicks. Dont know any specific numbers though. I am assuming 8.8 dif. with 28 spline axles.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

I personally wouldn't trust them. You're way past their accepted limit, and there's a good chance you'll snap an axle or the driveshaft yoke. All are known weak points. Not to mention, with slicks the NHRA rules have you getting rid of the C-clips anyway, might as well install either C-clip elims or new housing ends along with better axles.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Its cheap to beef up an 8.8
Axels, new spool or trac lock are all about $200 new each. Weld those tubes and put on new ends if you want and forget aboutttttttttttt ittttttttttt.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Launching!

stock 8.8"s are hit-or-miss. Some can take a hell of a beating, some can't. You might as well go with the above suggestions to be on the safe side, 'cause you are going to have to do it eventually.