Mod Motor Tech Forums

Mod Motor Tech Forums (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/)
-   The Lounge (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/lounge-20038/)
-   -   Any ideas what I should offer for 89 fox body? (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/lounge-20038/any-ideas-what-i-should-offer-89-fox-body-143/)

MillaTK 03-31-2006 03:33 PM

Any ideas what I should offer for 89 fox body?

Well, over the summer a Die hard GM nut co-worker of mine was bought an engine stand from another co-worker of mine, but the engine stand came with a 5.0 from an 89 stang, an engine he really didn't want since he hates Ford. Well, he just wanted to get rid of it and sold it to me for 100 bucks(has 5X,XXX miles on it, but has a blown head gasket.). Well, this summer I'm looking into getting a car to put the engine in, and I am thinking a Fox body is gonna be the easiest/cheapest.

Well a good friend of mine's father has an 89 mustang, 4cylinder. I've talked to the father, who I know pretty well, and he said he'd be willing to sell it. Interior is in very good condition, and the body is rust free, from when I checked it out briefly over spring break. The paint is fading and chipping in many spots, and the two front fenders have some dents in them. Both headlights are smashed as well. Not sure on the mileage, but the car has been sitting for a few years. Any idea what this car could be worth? I don't want to give a low ball offer for the car.

Also, if anyone can think of a cooler swap that wouldn't cost too much more than a fox body, feel free to make suggestions. My father mentioned I could put the engine in a pinto, but I dunno if I want to do that. I still have a good bit of time before I need to purchase something, but it never hurts to start looking. Basically, I'm looking to do something on a pretty limited budget. I don't need anything blazing fast since this is going to be my first time getting into the muscle car scene.

Brains 03-31-2006 04:07 PM

I'd say probably 500 is very fair.

RED04Z06 03-31-2006 08:52 PM

Yah I agree with Brains. Between $400-$600

MillaTK 04-01-2006 05:03 AM

Awesome... I was thinking of offering around that, just didn't know if for some reason it would be worth a bit more. Didn't wanna give a friend of the family a low-ball offer.

~JOSHUA 04-01-2006 10:36 AM

A song and a dance maybe? :violin:

wbw2 04-01-2006 10:40 PM

get yourself an 85ish or so, maybe up to 89 thunderbird...

had one with a stroked 302 back in the day, excellent sleeper!
find a supercoupe with a bad motor and you'll be set.

josh99ta 04-07-2006 11:21 AM

I did some research on this lately as I'm going to be buying back my '88 Mustang hatch 2.3L auto. $500 is right on for the condition you said that car is in.

-Joseph- 04-08-2006 01:06 PM

You could probably get it a little cheaper than $500 being in the NE, its amazing how much cheaper 5-15 year old cars are there than here (where they don't rust). I would consider $500 as the highest to pay though. :judge:

How complete is the motor? While your waiting on a car to put it in, you can start fixing the head gaskets. They are extremely easy and cheap to replace. I would just put some Fel-Pro gaskets in it with ARP or new stock head bolts. Those years stock 5L shortblock has TRW forged pistons and is a pretty durable motor stock, if it only has 50K miles I wouldn't even worry about the bottom end unless it was overheated/highly abused.

MillaTK 04-11-2006 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by -Joseph-
You could probably get it a little cheaper than $500 being in the NE, its amazing how much cheaper 5-15 year old cars are there than here (where they don't rust). I would consider $500 as the highest to pay though. :judge:

How complete is the motor? While your waiting on a car to put it in, you can start fixing the head gaskets. They are extremely easy and cheap to replace. I would just put some Fel-Pro gaskets in it with ARP or new stock head bolts. Those years stock 5L shortblock has TRW forged pistons and is a pretty durable motor stock, if it only has 50K miles I wouldn't even worry about the bottom end unless it was overheated/highly abused.

Motor is pretty much complete, basically, I just need a wiring harness... and a car, and tranny, and driveshaft, and rear end...

baddogz28 04-12-2006 08:08 PM

I paid $800 or $900 for ours... 90 notch, 58k miles.