Mod Motor Tech Forums

Mod Motor Tech Forums (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/)
-   Internal Engine (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/internal-engine-20046/)
-   -   Billet Oil Gears... worth the mullah? (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/internal-engine-20046/billet-oil-gears-worth-mullah-449/)

Top Fuel Friday 05-12-2006 05:26 AM

Billet Oil Gears... worth the mullah?

We have all heard the story of "some guy" blowing apart his stock oil pump gears, and there are billet gears out there for a pretty decent amount of cash for what they are IMO. What do you guys think of upgrading our stock oil pump gears?

Personally I think it's a waist of money unless you plan to spin your engine above 6 grand for extended amounts of time, which 99% of the modulars do not. Also I have never seen or heard of anyone blowing apart their oil pump gears.

I have better things to drop that kind of change on, such as suspension work.

TJs98GT 05-12-2006 06:40 AM

if your pan is off or if your near them and can easily replace them now then id say do it while your there, if your not and your not making any ridiculous power id say wait it out a while longer

blueeyeddevil 05-12-2006 01:54 PM

I know the 2v motor oil pump gears are made of powdered metal, would it be cheaper to put the 4v ones (which are not) in if they fit? I read it would only be good in high rpm situations. Oh they are not in the pan, they would be on the front of the motor, and from what I heard not to hard to take the accessories off the front and pull it off and apart. Just time consuming.

HYBRED 05-23-2006 01:20 PM

I've heard from a few people that they're one of the #1 engine upgrades if you're building an engine. Your oiling system is not something you want to cheap out on. Besides, Mod motors are high revving by nature, and you don't have to be at high RPMs for long to blow apart the pump.

I don't know anyone personally who has had the stock ones fail, but that's because everyone who built a motor installed the billet ones :)

Speeds8erM-1 05-24-2006 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Top Fuel Friday
We have all heard the story of "some guy" blowing apart his stock oil pump gears, and there are billet gears out there for a pretty decent amount of cash for what they are IMO. What do you guys think of upgrading our stock oil pump gears?

Personally I think it's a waist of money unless you plan to spin your engine above 6 grand for extended amounts of time, which 99% of the modulars do not. Also I have never seen or heard of anyone blowing apart their oil pump gears.

I have better things to drop that kind of change on, such as suspension work.

It isnt a story of "some guy", they do come apart. My friend's car lost oil pressure one day a couple months when he was passing a car and he wasnt sure why, he cut it off and finally got it apart a week or so ago to find out it had blown the oil pump gears apart. Bolton 03 GT with NX 100 Shot. No nitrous was being used when it blew but it had gotten stuck on the rev limiter for 13 seconds a week before. Regardless, they can and DO come apart.

Bitemark46 05-25-2006 08:22 AM

Yep, worth every penny on a 2v or 4v. Ford did a bad job when they designed them. Why sink 3k in a shortblock and not spend a couple hundred on billet gears? When I build my motor I'll be sure it'll have them. -Makr