Mod Motor Tech Forums

Mod Motor Tech Forums (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/)
-   General Maintenance & Repairs (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs-24/)
-   -   Cobra Brakes and another random 'clunk' (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs-24/cobra-brakes-another-random-clunk-144/)

LeeUhh 03-31-2006 03:34 PM

Cobra Brakes and another random 'clunk'

help......

ever since I bought this car (1997 Cobra) the brakes have rattled...I've had them checked out TWICE by brake guys and they say it has something to do w/ the design...which I know nothing about..all I know is that it's irrtating and unnerving when your brakes rattle when they aren't applied.

also think maybe there might be an issue w/ my rack & pinion...a big maybe I guess; this is another area I have NO knowledge of....my car is making a popping noise when you turn the wheel....

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Brains 03-31-2006 04:06 PM

When the car pops, can you feel it in the wheel? I'm thinking either bushings or tie rod ends.

LeeUhh 03-31-2006 04:35 PM

You can't feel it when you turn the steering wheel, but it HAS been doing it a lot more than it used to...

If you've ever been to San Marcos you know how bad the roads here are, and I'm seriously concerned that the place is just tearing my car apart. It's got practically full suspension as it is, which makes it hard enough to drive it around to begin with.

it sounds like the whole chasis needs to be tightened up when I'm driving around town. THEN it started POPPING when I turn....even a little bit, before it took me turning the wheel a LOT to get it to pop, now it's doing it when I turn the wheel even slightly.

Iunno, I hate driving a rattle box and if there's anything I can do about it I want to do it.

BWH2003 03-31-2006 08:33 PM

Even my 2004 cobra has the pop in the front. Its just a ford thing as far as I know. I looked all over the front end and didnt find a thing.

EDIT: Try taking a look at the rack bushings. Those usually cause the steering pop that your refering to. A new set should have your car pop free

Thoroughbred 03-31-2006 11:29 PM

Does the slowbra still have the factory rack? Mine doesnt and has a diff ratio. So when I turn my wheel all the way right or left, they turn a tad more than they did stock and you will hear a knock or pop. :playboy:

Blue91 04-02-2006 11:59 AM

If you're ever back in town, bring it by my house and I'd be glad to check it out.

As far as the brake rattling, I have seen cheapo replacement pads cause that. They aren't tight in the caliper and unless they are being applied, they're sitting loose in the caliper rattling away.

If you want me to check it out, let me know a day so I can schedule around you. I can't promise any miracles but I can say you won't have to pay me anything (unlike high $$ shops).

LeeUhh 04-02-2006 08:20 PM

thanks Fred! Next time in town I'll try and get a hold of you