Mod Motor Tech Forums

Mod Motor Tech Forums (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/forced-induction-19/)
-   -   Timing Advance on 12lb. Boosted Fox Body? (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/forced-induction-19/timing-advance-12lb-boosted-fox-body-194/)

Torque_Wrench 04-05-2006 10:41 AM

Timing Advance on 12lb. Boosted Fox Body?

Hey mustang guys, working on a 5.0 Fox Body here. It's got a 12lb. Powerdyne fully built 5.0. I need to know what to set the timing on. Before the upgrade on the blower....it was a simple 6lb. and the timing was 15 degees..........now with the higher boost and a boost retarder, what should I set my timing on....12 degrees maybe?

Torque_Wrench 04-06-2006 08:16 AM

It's good to see so many peopel replying to my thread...and the massive amount of views.....woah....don't hold back.

Saleen91 04-06-2006 08:27 AM

Do you mean 15^ with the spout out and locked?

I'll be surprised if you can get a Powerdyne to produce 12# of boost on a 5.0 with heads and an intake to be honest (you said built). You have 3 options outside of doing a custom chip:

1-set the distributor to 4-5^ base (spout out) and then put the spout back in.
2-set the distributor to 20^ base and leave the spout out (locked)
3-Get an MSD BTM and set the distributor to 14^ base (spout out), put the spout back in, and set the BTM to 1.

This also means running nothing but super unleaded.

Torque_Wrench 04-06-2006 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Saleen91

I'll be surprised if you can get a Powerdyne to produce 12# of boost on a 5.0 with heads and an intake to be honest (you said built). You have 3 options outside of doing a custom chip:

3-Get an MSD BTM and set the distributor to 14^ base (spout out), put the spout back in, and set the BTM to 1.

Hey, this information is great! I thank you for giving me advice!

Turbo Mike 04-06-2006 10:42 PM

Agreed with the pull timing and keep the spout in. I'm at 14 psi boost at the moment and 5* base with the spout in. Spout out gives bad drivability, stalling, fouling plugs, real real bad fuel economy, and tuning issues (flat spots) if its not just right..

P.F.M 04-07-2006 11:36 AM

I made 12lbs with a PD all day long you just cant miss a shift other wise by by inner belt. We set the base timing at 10 and did the rest in a chip. once it was tuned they found almost 65 more HP/TQ. That combo went 11.2 @ 123 witha 1.8 6d. For what its worth.
Paul

blue302stang 04-18-2006 06:13 PM

i would recommend getting a computer tune for your car anything over about 8 pounds. Take it to a good shop and they will set your base timing, fuel pressure, and than go in and tune the computer to do the rest

Fryguy302 04-23-2006 06:58 AM

I agree. 20 total is a good number.

Originally Posted by Saleen91

Saleen91 04-23-2006 10:42 AM

oh man...look at what the cat drug in. ;)

mustangwilly 04-28-2006 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Torque_Wrench
Hey mustang guys, working on a 5.0 Fox Body here. It's got a 12lb. Powerdyne fully built 5.0. I need to know what to set the timing on. Before the upgrade on the blower....it was a simple 6lb. and the timing was 15 degees..........now with the higher boost and a boost retarder, what should I set my timing on....12 degrees maybe?

what octane fuel are we talking about?
what heads are on the car?
what plugs are you using?