Mod Motor Tech Forums

Mod Motor Tech Forums (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/)
-   External Engine (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/external-engine-17/)
-   -   best headers for cheap (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/external-engine-17/best-headers-cheap-442/)

hardtohitme7 05-11-2006 04:13 PM

best headers for cheap

what are the best headers on the market for 99+ mustangs, i also dont wanna spend a lot, if you have any numbers id appretiate it

01steeda 05-11-2006 09:10 PM

alot of guys claim bad fitment on the MAC LT's, but i had no problems at all with them and they can be had for under 400.

Top Fuel Friday 05-12-2006 05:05 AM

Save your self the hastle and don't get the Mac's My roomate has them on his GT and they fought us every step of the way dropping in the motor. You have to route the steering shaft through the headders.

I have BBK's on my GT, you can get them cheap online, I picked up my ceramic coated set for 150 bucks, they have great fitment, only a one or two bolts are hard to get to vs 7 or 8 on the mac's, and they don't rust as bad as the mac headers do.
Mac mid pipes and cat backs are alright though. I have a mac O/R H pipe and pro dumps, and they aren't rusted a bit, plus they fit my BBK L/T's great.

TJs98GT 05-12-2006 06:39 AM

i have BBK also, got the ceramic coated ones off a buddy of mine used, with X pipe, o2 sensor extenders and locking nuts(which i didnt use) for $300. so there are deals out there, you just gotta be patient and wait for them to come up

Smokin'whiteZ28 05-24-2006 06:23 PM

where are you getting LT's for $200, I've been looking for a set for a while but they are all over $300-$400

SJRTX 05-24-2006 07:08 PM

I have BBK LT's.

If I had it to do over again, I would NEVER have put LT's on my car. For the maybe 1-2 hp youd lose going with midlengths, you'll thank yourself if you ever have to do a clutch job. The easy way for me was to pull the motor and tranny out in 1 piece, just to do the clutch. Just the week before that I did it by dropping the K-member (had flywheel issues that caused me to do it twice).

SN95 cars were not designed for the 4.6, so space is quite limited.

K Bo 05-26-2006 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by SJRTX
I have BBK LT's.

If I had it to do over again, I would NEVER have put LT's on my car. For the maybe 1-2 hp youd lose going with midlengths, you'll thank yourself if you ever have to do a clutch job. The easy way for me was to pull the motor and tranny out in 1 piece, just to do the clutch. Just the week before that I did it by dropping the K-member (had flywheel issues that caused me to do it twice).

SN95 cars were not designed for the 4.6, so space is quite limited.

I had Hooker headers on my car and NO problem pulling the tranny without messing with the headers. The only problem was the top starter bolt, but once we figured it out with a series of extentions and swivels, it was a breeze. Pacesetter and Jet-Hot both make headers designed after the Hookers. I would highly receommend LT's. They woke up my car a TON up top!

blackfang 05-27-2006 11:21 PM

Of course you didn't, the Hookers don't hug the transmission like the BBK's. I chose to go with Flowtech(same design as hooker as both are made by Holley) Total cost was 279 to my door for the LT's and 120 for my x pipe and have no issues with the exhaust. Notice nice power gains in the low and midrange.

aking287 06-18-2006 09:39 PM

What about an auto? BBK doesn't fit auto trans. Are MAC's worth it or should I spend the money on hooker or something like that?

777 08-21-2006 12:00 PM

What about edelbrock ti-tech coated LT's ;)