Mod Motor Tech Forums

Mod Motor Tech Forums (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/)
-   External Engine (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/external-engine-17/)
-   -   2005+ "Free Mods"? (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/external-engine-17/2005-free-mods-13/)

Nine Ball 03-06-2006 04:03 PM

2005+ "Free Mods"?

Has anyone discovered any "Free Mods" that can be done to add performance to these newer Mustangs?

For those curious, "Free Mods" are what we call modifications that people have found to bypass things, remove things, mildly port things, etc...

Tony

Larry 03-06-2006 04:19 PM

There are two big chunks of metal below the rear axle that can be removed for weight savings. Kinda reminds me of the big chunk they put under the differential on 93 and older Mustangs. And of course the front anti-sway bar will save about 15 3/4 pounds.

My throttle plate opened pass full. I epoxied an aluminum stop to prevent this. You will have to open the side plate on the throttle body to determine if yours does the same thing. Best to remove from the car as the throttle spring has to be reset.

If you plan to keep the factory air filter box then cut the wire mesh from the factory filter. Don't know if it does much but it is in the flow and doesn't hurt the filter at all. I've done this to all my LS1 filters.

Loosen the rear sway bar ends and adjust so more load is transferred to the passenger side. It won't move far but ever little bit of load from that bar helps traction.

HotLap 03-06-2006 07:32 PM

Tony - I haven't found many "free" mods for my '05 GT yet - but the JLT II CAI and DTP 91 octane tune really made a hugh difference. About the only free things I've done to date are the antenna mod (shorter = less wind resistance), and I cut one coil off the rear springs to lower the rear 1". Works well - doesn't bottom out and handles great and best of all looks great. I know you are going to think I'm crazy but I removed the TB one night and polished it out - has a fairly rough finish and I swear I could feel the diff (SOP dyno) :)

All fun stuff - tinkering with the car.

Best bang for the buck though was the JLT II CAI with Excalibarator and DTP tune......really wakes up the engine and takes advantage of the 3V head design.

Larry - what "chunks" of metal are you referring to....could they be there for vibration dampning?

Larry 03-06-2006 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by HotLap
Tony - I haven't found many "free" mods for my '05 GT yet - but the JLT II CAI and DTP 91 octane tune really made a hugh difference. About the only free things I've done to date are the antenna mod (shorter = less wind resistance), and I cut one coil off the rear springs to lower the rear 1". Works well - doesn't bottom out and handles great and best of all looks great. I know you are going to think I'm crazy but I removed the TB one night and polished it out - has a fairly rough finish and I swear I could feel the diff (SOP dyno) :)

All fun stuff - tinkering with the car.

Best bang for the buck though was the JLT II CAI with Excalibarator and DTP tune......really wakes up the engine and takes advantage of the 3V head design.

Larry - what "chunks" of metal are you referring to....could they be there for vibration dampning?

Have you measured your 1/4 times with the CAI and Xcal2? I don't have the CAI but I do have the Xcal2 and measured no gain at the track. Maybe it takes both to measure gain. I was told that I would get .4. I've tried two bin files. One from Evolution and one from SCT. My signature has the before with stock tune. After 13.41 @ 100.94 mph. I wish I knew why no gain.

Here's the chunk I was referring: http://www.mustangmods.com/data/440/chunk.jpg

Stang Man 03-08-2006 05:11 PM

If you mean BONE stock, pull out the carbon trap found in the intake tubing. I've read its worth between 0-2 HP, maybe more depending on the car and dyno. Hey, its free! Keep it in case the computer throws a code, but I don't believe it will.

Arron

Larry 03-08-2006 06:41 PM

I don't think the 06's have that in the intake tube. Mine does not.

Stang Man 03-08-2006 06:58 PM

Really? Wierd that they'd only run it for one year...

Justin3v06 04-03-2006 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Stang Man
If you mean BONE stock, pull out the carbon trap found in the intake tubing. I've read its worth between 0-2 HP, maybe more depending on the car and dyno. Hey, its free! Keep it in case the computer throws a code, but I don't believe it will.

Arron

DO NOT DO THIS WITH OUT A TUNE!!

it will actually hurt you more than it will help you.

Justin3v06 04-03-2006 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Larry
I don't think the 06's have that in the intake tube. Mine does not.

true they ditched it after 05.

Urban Legend 04-08-2006 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Stang Man

Arron

Whats the point of that carbon trap being in there anyways?