Mod Motor Tech Forums

Mod Motor Tech Forums (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/)
-   External Engine (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/external-engine-17/)
-   -   05/06 mods that DON'T require tuning? (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/external-engine-17/05-06-mods-dont-require-tuning-289/)

383ss 04-15-2006 05:45 PM

05/06 mods that DON'T require tuning?

I'd like to get a list of mods that don't require tuning, for obvious reasons :)

here is what I think don't require

Electric water pump
underdrive pulley
some air intakes
mufflers
ported throttle body

how bout headers?

Larry 04-16-2006 11:44 AM

Weight removal.

383ss 04-16-2006 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Larry
Weight removal.

:eyes: thanks

BLKWS.6 04-16-2006 03:57 PM

Driver mod :)

blackened05 04-24-2006 04:26 PM

headers could be hit and miss. i'd get a good look at A/F before buying/installing. LT's have shown (elsewhere) to lean out by 5% or so.

And why would you not want to go all out w/ bolt-ons and get a better-than-craptory tune? Just curious.

pullies, driveshaft (stocker is 40+ lbs), flywheel, gears (sort of requires retune but just for speedo correction)

383ss 04-25-2006 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by blackened05
headers could be hit and miss. i'd get a good look at A/F before buying/installing. LT's have shown (elsewhere) to lean out by 5% or so.

And why would you not want to go all out w/ bolt-ons and get a better-than-craptory tune? Just curious.

pullies, driveshaft (stocker is 40+ lbs), flywheel, gears (sort of requires retune but just for speedo correction)

because I want to know what I can put on and not REQUIRE a tune so I don't have to go back and have someone retune it 5 times. I'm not going to buy everything at once either.

blackened05 04-26-2006 01:50 PM

well, definitely not trying to talk you into anything (but) as you probably know, due to the nature of the Spanish Oak ECU on the S197's A/F is not automatically adjusted...w/ a tune a/f is pretty much statically re-mapped accross the entire table. free-er flowing mods, specifically, require a retune, not only to get the most out of them but to not lean out. further, ford seemed to have left a lot out of the factory tune even w/o mods.

lastly, having the handheld unit obviously makes for easier swapping back to factory settings if ever needed, eg, you don't have to go back to the shop for a reflash, etc.... having done the intake/tune route myself (1st thing I did), i can't gloat enough about it. i guess it boils down to personal preference

As for you coming from a 10 sec SS :drive: , i get the feeling that nothing i said was news to you and you obviously know what you're doing - just trying to lend a hand.

NiCk 04-26-2006 04:11 PM

About the only thing on the engine you could do with out tuning(reflashing the pcm) is gona be exhaust. If you put an intake on it your not going to get any gains with out tuning. They way the new stangs are designed the computer controls everything. Any change in the air or fuel is going to need tuning.