Mod Motor Tech Forums

Mod Motor Tech Forums (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/)
-   Drag Racing (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/drag-racing-20030/)
-   -   Is it possible to run 10s n/a with a 3V and... (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/drag-racing-20030/possible-run-10s-n-3v-315/)

Larry 04-17-2006 04:17 PM

Is it possible to run 10s n/a with a 3V and...

And still be able to drive out to the track on DOT's with full exhaust? What will it take?

My 98 Camaro of course has a 65 cubic inch advantage as we all know, but it does run well into the 10s n/a at 2900#. I could drive it out right now and run a 10. And this with the factory mass air, plenum, heads, block and rear gearing. Not a lot of cam either with my 224/224 on a 112 LSA.

Both cars have a 3500# weight listed on the title.

I'm afraid we have our work ahead of us with the 3V.

BLKWS.6 04-17-2006 04:31 PM

Of course its POSSIBLE, Larry. It is NOT a question of possible, but rather, AFFORDABLE :)

unit213 04-17-2006 04:33 PM

N/A??? Whew...that's going to be difficult. I don't think anyone's done that yet.
You could be the first Larry!

You're going to need a shit ton of hook and weight reduction mods. As we all know, the
4.6L's strong suit is not making naturally aspirated power. You're definitely going to
need more cubes than 281". Cams, full bolt ons, a tall gear, bigger cubes, slicks,
skinnies, weight reduction, suspension mods...

Will that auto tranny hold? Not sure. You know you'll need a big stall in it
though if you want it to get out of the hole right.

I would think you'd need 450rwhp at the minimum.

Larry 04-17-2006 04:40 PM

I think anything is possible but I'm saying with the factory block at 2900# just like my Camaro. Forget the factory mass air, plenum, heads, anything goes there.

I think it's only going to take about 400 rwhp. That's about all my Camaro makes based on all the threads I've read with engines with my cam. Although it has not been dynoed with this cam. Can you get 400 n/a out of a 281? If you can then 10s should be easy!

383ss 04-17-2006 08:10 PM

I'll just be happy with 11's :lol: I was going to go the blower route on mine, but have decided to go N/A, since
1. Its more fun, IMO
2. everyone and their grandma does FI on mustangs.

I'm going to try and do it with a 5 speed. I've already done a TKO600 conversion and beefed up the entire drivetrain. Suspension is all done also. Still at stock weight, but will shed about 2 hundred pounds, hopefully. (including drag wheels)

we're going to start the motor mods here soon. I think with all the bolt-ons, good head and agressive cam it will get around 400rwhp on stock CID. that should get in the high 11's without a problem in decent weather.
to get 10's its going to have to be absolutely GUTTED or increase the displacement. I'd like to keep the stock block, it looks like you can go up to a 322 with it. I do not want to gut the car, so I hope with the increased CID and a little more weight reduction it will brush 10's in about 0DA. Maybe on MT radials, but I would prefer just to do it on slicks.

Top Fuel Friday 04-17-2006 08:11 PM

Short answer: No

Long Answer: No chance

unit213 04-17-2006 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Larry
Can you get 400 n/a out of a 281? If you can then 10s should be easy!

You absolutely can get 400rwhp N/A out of a 3V, but it definitely won't
be a 281" motor. You'll need more cubes. Let me ask my friend over
at Livernois about this. I know they've done heads and cams on their
F1 blown 'stang GT. Maybe they dyno'd it prior to the blower...not sure.
I'll see what he would recommend for reaching your goal.

You're a stud if you can get run a 10 with 400rwhp. Putting
all the power to the ground is no easy task.

Larry 04-17-2006 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by unit213
You absolutely can get 400rwhp N/A out of a 3V, but it definitely won't
be a 281" motor. You'll need more cubes. Let me ask my friend over
at Livernois about this. I know they've done heads and cams on their
F1 blown 'stang GT. Maybe they dyno'd it prior to the blower...not sure.
I'll see what he would recommend for reaching your goal.

You're a stud if you can get run a 10 with 400rwhp. Putting
all the power to the ground is no easy task.

I'm a stud! I do run 10s n/a with my Camaro with an estimated slightly less than 400 rwhp. I still have factory valves but ported by me. It's all in the 60'. I run consistent 1.4s with 3.23 gearing.

383ss 04-18-2006 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Larry
I'm a stud! I do run 10s n/a with my Camaro with an estimated slightly less than 400 rwhp. I still have factory valves but ported by me. It's all in the 60'. I run consistent 1.4s with 3.23 gearing.

400rwhp with an automatic and big stall might do it. 400rwhp in an M5 won't stand a chance. huge difference between the two.

Nine Ball 04-18-2006 09:00 AM

I think its possible, but that would have to be one gutted Mustang. These tiny cubes also don't have the nice big torque band that the LS1 has, its hard to compare them. A 400 rwhp LS1 will most likely have much more area under the curve than a 400 rwhp mod motor.

Tony