Mod Motor Tech Forums

Mod Motor Tech Forums (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/)
-   Chassis & Drivetrain (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/chassis-drivetrain-27/)
-   -   cobra brakes sufficient? baer? (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/chassis-drivetrain-27/cobra-brakes-sufficient-baer-405/)

TJs98GT 05-04-2006 07:59 AM

cobra brakes sufficient? baer?

i wanna do a brake upgrade because its going to be time for brakes in the next couple of months. i dont feel like dropping the $900 on the cobra R system but definately want better braking. will the standard cobra/bullitt kit be sufficient enough? i dont road race the car although i do drag race, if there was a track close enough that didnt charge an arm and a leg to race i would definately try it, hoping e-towns track will open up next year.

whats the difference between the cobra brakes and the baer track brake system? i like the size of the rear baer brakes, the stock ones are way too small. is there any size difference with the rear cobras besides them being thicker and vented?

the stock brakes just arent cutting it anymore.

K Bo 05-04-2006 01:53 PM

Cobra/Bullitt/Mach brakes are a cheap very good upgrade from stock. I would definately go that route as they are probably the best bang for the buck around.

Just remember, bigger brakes means more roatating mass. :lol:

Bitemark46 05-04-2006 01:53 PM

GT rotors are 11.64" in diameter and cobra brakes are 13". 96-98 cobra rotors suck. Prone to warping. In 99' they were actually brembo rotors, or baer. I can't remember which one but I know they are a lot better than mine. If you are in to weight savings look into the wildwood street/strip kit. My buddy has them on his 99 2v and he saved 10lbs on each side. They look great too. -Mark

TJs98GT 05-04-2006 04:54 PM

i knew the fronts were 13 but the rear cobra brake rotors are larger than stock GTs also right? i think they are approximately the size of GT front rotors.

NiCk 05-04-2006 05:22 PM

You can also upgrade to the newer GT calipers which are PBR dual piston. But I would definatly not spend all the money on the baer and such if you don't road race. The stock stuff from an upgrade should hold up fine. My cobra brakes are.

Bitemark46 05-05-2006 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by TJs98GT
i knew the fronts were 13 but the rear cobra brake rotors are larger than stock GTs also right? i think they are approximately the size of GT front rotors.

Nope. Rears are the same. 11.64" -Mark

K Bo 05-05-2006 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bitemark46
Nope. Rears are the same. 11.64" -Mark

Different calipers?

TJs98GT 05-09-2006 03:51 PM

im pretty sure the calipers were the same, and i knew the rotors were thicker because they were vented but some of the kits i saw had different caliper brackets and i thought maybe the cobra brakes were slightly larger diamater but i guess not

HYBRED 05-22-2006 11:51 PM

I have Cobra rears waiting to go on my car (fronts already installed, there is a big difference), I'll try to measure them tomorrow and let you know. I do know that the calipers are different, and require different brackets (IRS to live axle) and the rear Cobra rotors are vented as opposed to the GT's solid rotors. I'm pretty sure they are bigger, but not 100%

TJs98GT 05-23-2006 11:30 AM

cool, lemme know what you find out