Mod Motor Tech Forums

Mod Motor Tech Forums (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/)
-   Appearance & Detailing (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/appearance-detailing-25/)
-   -   Wheels - how big can I go? (https://www.modmotortech.com/forums/appearance-detailing-25/wheels-how-big-can-i-go-105/)

Brains 03-27-2006 03:40 PM

Wheels - how big can I go?

I'm looking at wheels for my 87 Coupe, and want to go a bit wider than stock. Can you fit a 10" rim out back without too much trouble? I have no problems ditching the quad shocks, since I'll be putting poly or solid bushings in the control arms. I've done that in the past and never had axle control problems.

I'll be having a set of custom wheels made for the car for street duty, so I can specify whatever offset is necessary. I'm more concerned with how big of a tire and how wide of rim the wheel houses will accept. For the strip, I'm really hoping I can make use of my Draglite XP's (15x10's, 5.5" BS if I remember right). I've got a set of dinky 26x10.5 ET Streets on there now.

Anyway -- I'm looking at 18x10's for the back, and 18x8's for the front.

Stang Man 03-27-2006 04:52 PM

The 18x8's up front will fit with pretty much no problem. Are you going 5-lug? If so, what route? Stick with the 94-95 Spindles if you want to keep the stock track up front.

The same goes for the rear. What track do you plan on running? The 94-98 axles increase width something like .75" PER SIDE! You'll be best of running the stock Fox track in the rear here. The 18x10's will fit, but they will need some work. What rear suspension are you planning on? If you're sticking with the stock style "quadra-bind", I'd be worried about lateral movement of the axle pushing the tires into the rear fenders and inner fenders.

Anyways, 18x10's can be done, but there are stipulations. You'll be best off to bust ouf the BFH on the inner fenders, and roll those fender lips as well.

Brains 03-27-2006 07:06 PM

Yes, 5 lug -- cobra stuff, with 94/95 spindles up front. For the rear, I have 13" cobra stuff with the Bear caliper brackets, but I'm thinking of selling that off to run smaller rotors -- I have Draglites to think about ;)

I am going to run 94-98 length axles out back though, I ran them on the black LX I had and 98 GT wheels fit just fine with no rubbing. I've already got 31 spline Mosers, C-clip elims, yadda yadda. If I absolutely have to, I'll sell off the C-clip elims, shorten the axles, and weld on 9" housing ends.

I can roll the fenders judiciously, because the car is going to paint anyway. I could care less if I crack paint at this stage ;)

Stang Man 03-27-2006 08:30 PM

I dunno man, those long axles may have worked then, but now you're going with a wheel that is 2 inches wider, thats quite a bit bigger than before!

I guess with the correct offset it would work just as well as with any axles, especially if you can run ANY backspacing you want(if you're going custom).

I plan to run 17x9's at all 4 corners with 275's all the way around as well. Not many people have done it with good results, but I'm sure gonna try ;) I'm thinking understeer won't be as bad as it is now with some wide tires up front, plus I can rotate front to rear if I want to...

Brains 03-28-2006 06:56 AM

Up front I can see 9" wheels hitting stuff.. lol. My 17x8's on the black car rubbed the fender liners, and the 90+ wells are a tad bit larger from what it looks like (that car was a 91, vs my current 87 model).

I'm thinking the easiest way for me to tell is going to be to put the car in the air, mount up a known wheel/tire combo, and start measuring everything. Turn the steering lock to lock with the suspension at full droop and full compression, and everywhere in between, and just see where it hits. Now is definitely the time for me to make body modifications ;)

Stang Man 03-28-2006 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Brains
Up front I can see 9" wheels hitting stuff.. lol. My 17x8's on the black car rubbed the fender liners, and the 90+ wells are a tad bit larger from what it looks like (that car was a 91, vs my current 87 model).

I'm thinking the easiest way for me to tell is going to be to put the car in the air, mount up a known wheel/tire combo, and start measuring everything. Turn the steering lock to lock with the suspension at full droop and full compression, and everywhere in between, and just see where it hits. Now is definitely the time for me to make body modifications ;)

Yeah the 9's up front are going to be a stretch for me, but I know it can be done. I'm thinking stock track with a small spacer oughta do the trick....and I'm not afraid to bust out the grinder and welder if need be :)

As far as your car, I'm not too worried about the fronts, that oughta fit just fine. I've got 17x8's on mine right now(4 lug) with no rubbing whatsoever, and I've had them on there a couple years now. Sure the 18's are taller, but the overall diameter shouldn't change too terribly much a 17" combination.

Robert B. 03-28-2006 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Stang Man
I plan to run 17x9's at all 4 corners with 275's all the way around as well.

17's or 18's? I thought you told me 18's....

lol Ive had 5 lug stuff for my car for over a year now just sitting :eek2:

Stang Man 03-28-2006 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Robert B.
17's or 18's? I thought you told me 18's....

lol Ive had 5 lug stuff for my car for over a year now just sitting :eek2:

I was going to go 18's, but I think the 17's will be better for autocrossing and open track events, not to mention the tires are cheaper! I'm really leaning towards the 10th anniversary SVT wheels.

Brian, I forgot to mention, I've seen a select few fox bodies running the 18x10.5 deep dish bullitts on the back. I'm sure theres little to no room leftover in there, but it can be done!

Arron

Stang Man 03-29-2006 10:21 AM

Found this picture on another site. He's got the 18x9's up front and 18x10 out rear. They are from Wheel Replicas, so check their site for backspacing and offset. He is running stock track out back.

Its got 285's in the rear with nothing more than ditching the quad shocks and a panhard bar.

http://xs73.xs.to/pics/06120/bullitt1.JPG

Brains 03-29-2006 10:45 AM

Bad ass, that's definitely encouraging :) 18's look good on the car too.